There was a tragedy in Imo State on Monday as no fewer than ten traditional wedding guests died of fume from a generator and twenty others hospitalised.
The incident which happened at Umuomumu Mbieri in the Mbaitoli Local Government Area of the state was earlier alleged to have been as a result of Food Poisoning but further investigations have proved otherwise.
A community source who spoke on Anonymity, told our correspondent that the incident happened after some wedding guests from Anambra State decided to pass the night at their in-law’s house after the ceremony.
The State Police Public Relations Officer, Orlando Ikeokwu who spoke to AMIBO, confirmed the sad development said to be as a result ofgenerator fumes”.
While speaking to Our AMIBO Correspondent, he said, “At about 0800hrs of today one HERBERT UZOEGBU, reported that his brother RAYMOND UZOEGBU, hosted the traditional wedding of his daughter yesterday 9/6/19, which eventually lasted till late at night, that he went to check on the said brother of his dis morning around 0700hrs only to discover day dey were still indoors he knocked but no one answered, he broke into the house and discovered that everyone in the house was unconscious as a result he alerted the police, a team of policemen led by the DIVISIONAL POLICE OFFICER, CSP GODWIN UDOM, arrived the scene and evacuated all the victims to the hospital, where it was discovered that six(6)persons had already given up The ghost with about twenty three people unconscious, meanwhile the commissioner of police imo state police command, has ordered a full scale investigation into the incident with a view to unravel the misery behind the tragedy.
Another source revealed that It was the fume from the generator which ran through the night until morning that killed them, our correspondent was told.
The said generator was on in the kitchen while the doors and widows of the rooms the guests slept were locked.”
The victims and survivors were taken to Ikeduru General Hospital. See photos below….